The Gifts of Imperfection


My roommate gave me about a billion books to read over Christmas break. I'm not a reader by any means, but the other day my dad told me that "if you're a reader, you'll be a learner for life," so I guess I better start reading!

The first book on my list is called The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are by Dr. Brene Brown. In her book, Dr. Brown discusses the idea of "wholehearted living," exploring concepts like courage, compassion, connection, love, belonging, and being enough. More importantly, Dr. Brown brings us face-to-face with "the things that get in the way" of wholehearted living, things like shame - the fear of being unlovable or the fear of disconnection. Instead of sharing simple steps on how to be happy, the author focuses on what gets in the way of our happiness.

I hope to be posting pieces of advice that I've gained from this book and others that I'll be reading throughout Christmas break. In the meantime, spend 20 or so minutes watching the YouTube video above ("The Power of Vulnerability" ~ Dr. Brene Brown's TED Talk from a few years ago).

Merry Christmas!
Haley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)