Today, Your Day

Date: March 14, 2015
Location: Cinque Terre, Italy

It's funny how much can change in a year.

This time last year I was sitting in my dorm room at Notre Dame, permanently frozen from the worst winter of my existence, writing away my thoughts and dreaming of the sunshine.

Today, a year later, I am sitting on a balcony overlooking all of Cinque Terre, Italy. The sunshine is warming my fingers as I type these words. The coffee on the table before me fills my soul with good vibes and energy needed for another day of travel.

My heart is at peace.

In the last year, I have been on three different continents and visited ten different countries. Times like these I feel like the luckiest girl in the world. I am happy - completely, unbelievably, undeniably happy.

Yesterday, my friends and I explored the five towns of Cinque Terre, hiking all over the region, experiencing the most incredible views, and eating all the gelato our stomachs could possibly handle.

The past few days have been some of the best days of my life. No amount of words or pictures can adequately capture the things I have been so fortunate to see and do in the past week. I went to sleep on a train in Prague and woke up in Budapest. I took a nap on flight overlooking all of Budapest and woke up in Milan. I wrote in my journal on yet another train and opened my eyes to beautiful Cinque Terre. I stepped off the train and was welcomed by the cool night air and the smell of the sea.

Life really doesn't get much better than this.

So much has changed in the past year, and for that I am so thankful.

I wouldn't want to be where I was last year. Or the person I was last year. I wouldn't even want to be the person I was last month or last week or even last night.

Because you see, we should never be the same. We should never be stuck in one sad situation or one recurring pattern of loneliness. We should always be changing every single day, every single chance we get. We are never stuck, no matter how much our minds tell us we are. I read this quote on the John Lennon Wall in Prague a few days ago: "Freedom is always here, as long as our minds believe we are free."

You are free.
The only thing standing between you and your freedom is yourself.
Your own mind is your only constraint.

***

My soul is at peace today; my heart is happy. Today I awake to a new life, a new me - and I couldn't be happier about it. I couldn't be more grateful for the life my parents have given me, the life God has given me, and the life I have begun to create for myself. Because when it comes down to it, you really are completely in charge of your life. You are in control. Please believe me. I could never write these words enough - life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. You have to believe that.

***

Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it.

So today, react positively. Today, choose peace. Today, clothe your soul with the love you deserve.

Today is your day. Today is your masterpiece.

And always remember, "You are not a tree. If you don't like where you are, change it."

Sending all my love from my heart to yours,
Haley

Comments

  1. Hi, Haley! Oh, isn't Italy fabulous?! Hope you tried some delicious pistachio gelato! ;) Sounds like your semester abroad is incredible. A little advice: Keep a journal of everything. You may have enough material to write a book someday.

    I love to write, too! I know what it's like to have thoughts in my head but not be able to express them in words. I find the Holy Spirit often prompts me to write at the appropriate time. So, I don't worry so much when writer's block hits me. I find travel, and just being outside of every day routine, inspires my writing. Very cathartic! . :)

    Safe travels! You are in my prayers!

    Blessings,

    -Jennifer

    p.s. So glad you visited Tyburn Convent. Hope to meet you back in Dallas, maybe at one of Fr. Alfonse's masses. You are such a lovely and wise young lady. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)