What Travel Does for Me

Dates: January 30-February 1, 2015
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Writing is my release. It's the one place in my life where I feel as if I don't have to be perfect. I don't have to have it all together. I just have to pour out my heart and say exactly what's on my mind.

Writing is terrifying and fantastic all at the same time.

Writing, to me, is like breathing.

But lately writing has been hard for me.

I try and try, but I feel like I just keep hitting a wall.

It's like I can't even write anymore. The words are all in my head, but for some reason it's so difficult to put them on a page.

My semester abroad is slowly beginning to change that.

The thoughts are starting to flow more freely; the words are beginning to take form; the wall is coming down.

I love to travel because it gives me something to write about. It's like being in a dry land where there is no water, then all of a sudden, a burst, a flash of light and life and love and joy. A stream of endless water. An overflow, an abundance, of everything you've been waiting for. Everything you've been missing. And when you're finally there, with the stream before your eyes and the anticipation rushing through your veins, you finally feel it. Freedom. You finally hear their voices. Belonging. You finally sense new life. Hope. Freedom, belonging, hope. The world begins again. Life adorns itself in a certain newness. The world is open; you are open. You feel as if you can breathe for the very first time. Finally, finally: you are made new.

God, You've blown my expectations out of the water for what I would gain from my semester abroad. It's not even about the new places, new cultures, or new foods: it's about what You are teaching me through every new adventure. It's about the way You are breaking me down, only to build me back up again. It's about the way You are clothing me in new life, the way You are holding my hand as I journey through a completely new world. All I can say is thank You. And I hope and pray that this semester becomes less about me and my adventures and more about You and Your creation.

***

"Then, she began to breathe and live, and every moment took her to a place where goodbyes were hard to come by. She was in love, but not in love with someone or something. She was in love with her life. And for the first time, in a long time, everything was inspiring." RM Drake

This weekend I realized it's not necessarily about where you go; it's about who you're with. Today I thank my Jesus for friends who challenge me and help me grow into the person I hope to become. I'm thankful for new experiences, deep conversations, and the greatest adventures every single day. Pumped to see what He has in store for the next four months.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)