Mirrorless

Date: June 15, 2014
Location: Fort Portal, Uganda

One of the very first things I noticed about this place is the lack of mirrors. I hate admitting this because it sounds so superficial, but I couldn't help but wish for a simple mirror the first few weeks I was here.

Here, life is so simple. It's all about the basics. I wake up in the morning, hang up my mosquito net, change clothes, brush my teeth, wash my face, put in my contacts, and head out to work on my research for the day. No time is spent looking into a mirror, analyzing blemishes, applying makeup, etc. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't, as I have yet to find a single mirror in our dorm, on this campus, or in our village.

Last weekend we stayed in a fairly nice hotel in Fort Portal (shoutout to my site partner David for gracefully breaking our mosquito net), and it was the first time in three weeks I saw myself in a mirror. It was also the first time in three weeks I got to take a semi-hot shower, so basically I felt like the Queen of Uganda.

But like taking cold showers and hand washing my laundry, I've grown to love living a "mirrorless" life. These past four weeks, I've come to realize the best thing about this mirrorless life is that when I wake up in the morning and get ready for the day, the first thing I see is not myself, reminding me that the day ahead of me is not about me.

The very first thing I do when I wake up each morning, before I even get out of bed, is read my Bible. So the very first person I see each morning is Jesus. Then, looking to the other side of my dorm room, I see my Ugandan roomie and best friend, Aggie. So the second person I see each morning? Others...the people in my life who mean the most to me. Then maybe three weeks down the road (if I'm lucky) I'll catch a quick glimpse of myself in a mirror in a random Fort Portal hotel that just so happens to have a mirror.

Jesus
Others
Yourself

That's the way everything in life should be. That's how you obtain true joy.
Jesus first. Others second. Myself last.
I am third.

May you experience true joy today,
Haley
A joyful weekend in Fort Portal with my fellow Domers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)