Making the Impossible, Possible

"The darkest sin imaginable."

Sounds scary and intense and like something we would NEVER dream of doing, right?
Well, sometimes what we say we will do is very different than what we actually end up doing.
Things happen; people make mistakes.

We are all human, and we are all capable of the darkest sin imaginable.

You are capable of sin.
I am capable of sin.
We are capable of sin.

And that is where forgiveness comes into play.

FORGIVENESS.

For me, learning how to forgive was once very much like learning how to run straight through a brick wall: it's just not going to happen.

I used to try to forgive time and time again, and it felt as if all I was doing was punishing myself, slamming straight into that immovable brick wall each time. Afterwards, I would return back to my starting point even more bruised and broken than before.

My inability to forgive began to change this past summer during my time at Hesed House, a homeless shelter just outside of Chicago where I lived and worked for two months. My homeless buddies there taught me two major lessons about forgiveness that summer:

#1 The choices a person makes are between that person and God.

It is not your job to teach people a lesson.

You will NEVER change a person.
You will NEVER fully understand the heart, the mind, and the intentions of another.

So instead of focusing so much on "fixing" other people, focus on your own self-improvement, day in and day out.

#2 Forgiveness has nothing to do with the person who hurt you, but everything to do with yourself.

When you make the choice to forgive another (because, after all, forgiveness just like faith, love, etc. comes down to a simple decision) you set yourself FREE.

Forgiveness cannot happen without God's help.
How can we possibly forgive if we don't look for guidance from the Author and Perfector of Forgiveness Himself?


You see, to me, forgiveness is impossible.

But God, God takes what is impossible & makes ALL things possible.

God makes all things possible. With His help, you can do it.

"Jesus looked at them and said, 'For human beings this is impossible. But for God all things are possible.'" (Matthew 19:26)

Song of the Week:
"All Things Possible" by Mark Schultz

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)