What It Takes

"This semester it's going to be different, I promise."

"This year I'll do it, I swear."

"Tomorrow it will happen. Don't worry."

Sound familiar?

All too often we find ourselves trapped in the temptation of making promises we just can't keep. We tend to think that a snap of the fingers will make everything perfect sometime in the near future. We make New Year's Resolutions that last four days and promises to friends or loved ones that never seem to unfold. We expect drastic changes to occur overnight and are upset with ourselves when those changes fail to occur.

Yet what we fail to realize is this: all good things take time.

Getting accepted into Notre Dame was a very "good thing" in my life, but like anything in life, it took precious time. It took time to study my butt off all throughout high school and even junior high. It took time to prepare for standardized tests and to complete my application. It took time to pray about this decision and to do everything in my power to get where I am right now, sitting in my dorm room typing this post.

All good things take time.

Huge changes don't happen overnight.

And that is exactly why we have to be sure that we don't make promises we can't keep.

Another "good thing" I have always dreamed of accomplishing in my life involves becoming a Proverbs 31 woman. It's easy to hide behind a computer screen and write about my love for Jesus, post after post after post, but it's a whole other thing entirely to actually live out that love. Proverbs 31 details the life of the Godly woman I one day hope to be, with verses like…

"She brings [people] good, not harm, all the days of her life" (verse 12).
"She opens her arms to the poor, and extends her hands to the needy" (verse 20).
"She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come" (verse 25).
"She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue" (verse 26).
"Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised" (verse 30).

Yet I know that my goal of becoming a Proverbs 31 woman will not happen overnight.

Again, all good things take time.

My post to you this Sunday is a post about patience. Think of that one thing in your life that you want more than anything else in the whole world…it could be the fulfillment of a goal, a relationship with a certain person, or an event or opportunity. This amazing, wonderful, fantastic thing will not happen overnight. It takes blood, sweat, and tears to get to where you want to be in this life. But even more than that, it takes a power greater than yourself.

With every goal that I have accomplished thus far in my life, God gave me the strength.

Yes, I have free will, and yes, I have the power to live the life I want to live. Yet from where does that power come? My Jesus.

This is what it takes to get to where I ultimately want to be: a whole lot of time and a whole lot of Jesus. This is my own personal recipe for success.

This week I challenge you to BE P A T I E N T.
And always remember that without Jesus, you cannot do whatever it is you want to do.

And besides, whatever you're chasing, if it's not Jesus, when you catch it you will not be satisfied.
Shoutout to one of my best friends in the whole world, Emily, for teaching me the real meaning of patience and gentleness. What a Proverbs 31 woman you are, Em!

Comments

  1. I stumbled upon your blog after reading one of Fr Alfonse's posts and I just wanted to say that every word has been speaking to me so much! It's random how I got here but I know God wanted me to read this to know that through others, He is speaking to me. So thank you for sharing your heart! The closer we try to get to Him, the greater the challenges become but we need not fear. Will be praying for you! Stay inspired and keep inspiring others! May God be your comfort and shield :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)