The Day I Started Living

Can I ask you something?

Are you happy?

Are you truly, unbelievably, undeniably happy? Are you bursting with joy at the thought of another full day ahead of you?

I am (or at least I try to be).

But I haven't always been that way.

You see, for a long time, self-doubt and endless comparisons consumed my life. I became obsessed with analyzing my failures and determining who was better than me at school, friendships, relationships, sports, hobbies, faith…you name it. Whatever it is, I compared myself tirelessly to other people. I was infatuated with the idea of perfection and overcome with the prospect of one day being the best of the best, so no more comparisons would be needed.

And the day I started truly living my life was the day I realized I will never be perfect.

On that day, a force of sheer love and power named God, my Father in Heaven, shared these words with me:

"You are imperfect, and I love you."

You are imperfect, and I love you.

NOT "you are imperfect, YET I love you." No, God told me…God tells us all, "You are imperfect, AND I love you."

You see, God doesn't love us IN SPITE of our weaknesses. God loves us BECAUSE of our weaknesses. Why? Because our imperfections are the perfect opportunity for God to display His complete and ultimate perfection in every single way - His perfection in love, in hope, in faithfulness, and in selflessness.

My life began the day I realized that yes, I am imperfect, and yes, I am loved.

Not a day goes by that I overlook how great God's love is for us. I mean come on, how could we ever forget something so grand and so eternal as His love?!

He LOVES.

And so should we.

Can you IMAGINE if someday we could turn to our brothers and sisters and say the very same thing God says to us on a daily basis?

"You are imperfect, and I love you."

Can you imagine that?

What a world we could create.

A world where imperfections are accepted and faults are forgiven - no matter the circumstances. What a world that would be, indeed.

Yet you crave perfection. You want to be the best of the best, don't you? Keep on craving, but remember that you may never reach the top because there will always be someone better than you, someone stronger than you, someone smarter than you.

But you know what, WHO CARES.

I've said it many times throughout my blog, and I'll say it again and again for as long as I live, COMPARISON IS THE THIEF OF JOY (Theodore Roosevelt). Comparison strips you of a full life. Yet God, God came that we may have "life and life to the full" (John 10:10). 

Above all, when you are tempted to allow that craving for perfection creep back into your heart, remember that He says to us each and every day…

"My grace is sufficient for you,
for My power is made perfect in weakness."
Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses,
so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9
Many of my family members and friends have taught me how to live fully, but more so than most people, my cousin Nicki lives such a happy life, free from stress, anxiety, and endless comparisons. She's joyful and unique in all the right ways. Love ya crazy girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)