Let Your Life Speak

Every day, I am overwhelmed with the number of voices attacking me.

...the voice of some people telling me what GPA I should aim for this semester, the voice of other people telling me how to think and view the world around me, and the voice of even more people telling me who to be, what to wear, how to act. Yet the only voice that truly matters is the one that is rarely acknowledged. This is the voice of my own true self - my likes and dislikes, my  desires, my fears. I've become so consumed with pleasing the voices that surround me, that I've failed to hear my own voice screaming my name.

I truly believe that the more I learn to explore what it is my heart desires, the happier I will be. And boy, do I want to be truly, unbelievably, undeniably happy or what.

For what seems like the first time in a very long time, I want to become my own person - my true self. No longer will I strive to conform to the directions of the voices that surround me. This semester of all semesters, I want to learn to live from within. I don't want to "get back" to the person I was created to be…"getting back" will only stunt my growth even more. This semester is all about the present moment.

My conditions in life are as they are meant to be, and I will not waste any more time striving to change them. I will simply react to every challenge in the best way I possibly can.

And what's the best way to react to any challenge I may ever face? By sticking to my true self. By finally letting my life speak.

Let Your Life Speak by Parker J. Palmer has encouraged me to begin the lifelong journey of learning to listen to what my heart is trying to tell me in the midst of every other voice that aims to steal my attention.
The difference between listening to these other voices and listening to the voice that lives inside of me, is the difference between living someone else's life and having the opportunity to live a life that is completely my own.

What a fine opportunity that is, indeed.

For so long, I have been consumed with perfection, obsessed with doing what others think is best, and so caught up in the idea of being the "cream of the crop." I've made myself go absolutely crazy. Enough.

The time has come to let my life speak.

"…from our first days in school, we are taught to listen to everything and everyone but ourselves, to take all our clues about living from the people and powers around us…we listen for guidance everywhere except from within" (Palmer 5).

"Now I become myself.
It's taken time, many years and places.
I have been dissolved and shaken,
Worn other people's faces" (Palmer 9).

Now, now is finally the time, I become myself.

Comments

  1. Haley! Well done! I really found myself relating to this one along with your post about patience. Confession time...ever since senior year of high school, I've had the biggest crush on you. Now I can just never get enough of your blog posts. A woman of God is the best kind of woman! Ugh you're too adorable; I can't handle it!

    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)