The Greatest Decision You'll Ever Make

If you know me well, then you know that my greatest weakness is comparing myself to other people. For as long as I can remember, I've been confident to a certain extent, yet I feel as if the dark shadow of comparison tends to conceal that confidence on most days. "Comparison is the thief of joy" (Theodore Roosevelt) - yes, I've heard these words time and time again. However, when it comes down to it, a simple quote can't really change anything. Nothing will change until you yourself make the conscious decision to change.
Comparison seems only natural in a world filled to the brim with unbelievably talented people. Let's be real here, there will always be someone who seems smarter, prettier, or just plain better than you. And you know what? Maybe they are smarter. Maybe they are prettier.

But that does not mean a n y t h i n g at all.

Why? Because when it comes down to it, this life is only between you and God anyway. Those other people who seem so much better than you? At the end of your life, they won't matter. Do you really think that at the end of your life when you come face-to-face with our glorious Father, He will actually ask you why you weren't as smart or as pretty as other people? Of course not! ENOUGH with the comparison. This life is between you and God. Together. In constant relationship. Nothing else and no one else really matters in the final analysis. Of course, this is not to say that we can completely forget about our neighbors and regard them as insignificant, but this IS to say that we can refrain from comparing ourselves to other people.

Why? Because God loves us as we are.

God has created YOU for a very specific purpose. You are an absolute gem in His eyes. And comparing yourself to other people? Well, that's just like slapping God in the face and asking God why He fails at being the Creator of the universe.

I'm tired of slapping God in the face.
I'm tired of asking God why He couldn't have made me better in one aspect or another.
I'm tired of comparing myself to others.
It's time I start appreciating who I am…an absolute GIFT to this world.

And it's time you do the same.
You are a gift to this world.
You are a gem in the eyes of the Lord.
You are all things good, all things pure, all things lovely.
Fix your eyes on the Creator; let Him remind you daily of how lovely you really are.

Be confident in the fact that God has confidence in you.

Be GOOD to yourself.
If you aren't good to yourself, then how do you expect anyone else to be good to you?

I'll leave you with one last thought. In this life, you can be your own worst enemy or your own best friend. You make the decision. This is undoubtedly the greatest decision you'll ever make in your life. Choose wisely.
Shoutout to this cutie right here, who has helped me realize that the negative energy that comes along with comparison will only continue to hold me back in life. Thank you for your example, Em!

*************************

Looking for some inspiration and reflection on self-confidence?
Hebrews 10:35-36
"So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what He has promised."
Joshua 1:9
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."
2 Corinthians 12:9
"Be He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

"Wait and See" by Brandon Heath
"You Love Me Anyway" by Sidewalk Prophets
"The Words I Would Say" by Sidewalk Prophets
"Brave" by Sara Bareilles

I love you for reading <3

P.S. I haven't posted in ages. I know, I'm the worst. I've been so busy with school this semester, and I recently have been working on a few applications, one to work and serve in Uganda next summer and one to study abroad in London in the spring of 2015. So that's my excuse for not posting, but now that those are all turned in, I'll be back to posting once a week, every Sunday! Get excited.

Comments

  1. 100% truth. Presently some hv been over angered by comparison to the extend of taking away their life. I promise to display the quote on the wall for many to get an enlightenment like i hv gained. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)