What It Means to be Human

I like to think that every person is inherently good at the core. A friend of mine (shout out to Raleigh) told me this during my freshman year of high school. The older I get, the more I realize how right she really was.

This summer during my time in Chicago, another friend of mine helped me to realize that we are all human, and we are all capable of the darkest sin imaginable. It took me a while to finally come to terms with the fact that those who love us the most are capable of hurting us the most. We like to think that the ones we love would never sin against us, but we cannot expect perfection from anyone. Why? We are only human.

Combine the wisdom of these two young ladies together, and we can begin to piece together what it means to be human.

To be human means,
To capable of the darkest sin imaginable,
But to still, NO MATTER WHAT, be inherently good at the core.

Each one of you is good enough for God. The you right now at this very moment is the you whom God loves and has chosen to call His Own. There's nothing more you need to do to get His attention or approval. All you must do is present yourself to Him, approaching Him as YOURSELF - not as who you think you should be or as whom others desire you to be.
I need you to do something for me. I want you to find rest in the fact that you are exactly where you are meant to be.

Yes, you may have committed the darkest sin imaginable. But you are human. And because you are human, you are still good, and you are still worthy. My site partner Emily who lived with me at the homeless shelter this summer helped me realize the potential of every human being. No matter your sin, your fears, or your failures, you still have potential because you are still good at the core.

One of my all-time favorite songs is "Collide" by Howie Day. A line from the song states: Even the best fall down sometimes.

No matter who you are or where you are in life, even if some may see you as "the best," you will surely fall down in this life. Yet that right there is the most beautiful thing about life: forgiveness, redemption, a brand new day, a fresh new start. Fall down seven times; stand up eight. No matter how many times you fall, you've still got Jesus. You'll always have Him.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened,
And I will give you rest."
Matthew 11:28

This verse has carried me through some pretty tough moments of my life. If you know me personally, you know I tend to struggle with some serious anxiety from time to time. Last summer, a friend of mine named Katherine approached me with this verse, explaining that she felt like God had wanted her to share it with me. The older I get the more I realize that the only thing that will bring my anxious heart to rest is Jesus...my sweet sweet Jesus.

"Our hearts are restless, until they rest in You, O God."
Saint Augustine

You may have stumbled time and time again, but hey, who hasn't? That is what makes us human. And in the midst of your stumble, take a moment to open your eyes to see the arms of Christ, always ready to catch you when you fall. Find rest in Him. Find love, peace, and fullness of life in His great love.

"One soul in the whole creation you do know: and it is the only one whose fate is placed in your hands. If there is a God, you are, in a sense, alone with Him."
C.S. Lewis


Because you are human, you are capable of the darkest sin imaginable.

Yet no matter what, you are still good at the core.

No matter what, you are never too far gone for the love of God.

He loves you as you are, where you are.

You alone are good enough for Him. You are free.

Find rest in that truth today.

"Who is a God like you, who pardons sin and forgives the transgression of the remnant of his inheritance? You do not stay angry forever but delight to show mercy. You will again have compassion on us; you will tread our sins underfoot and hurl all our iniquities into the depths of the sea."
Micah 7:18-19
There is something so freeing about knowing you are good enough for Him.

Song of the Week:

Comments

  1. Both pictures are very nice and close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)