The Point When Life Happens

God has given each of us a restless heart. No matter how much we have in life, our hearts are somehow constantly restless for more. We are always looking forward to "the next big thing" - the car we've always wanted, the book we're dying to read, or the friend we haven't seen in years. When it comes to my own experiences, rarely am I completely content with the present. I often find myself with a deep desire to revert to the past or to speed up to the future, which in my mind always seems to look so much more appealing than the life before my eyes in this very moment.
Learning to be happy with the present moment is truly an art. Yet like all art forms, the more you practice, the easier it will be. In my own life, perhaps my greatest art form is writing. I wasn't always a writer, but after my uncle died when I was in 3rd grade - the first time I was introduced to the concept of death - I found that the only way for me to adequately express my remorse was by writing. Just a few days after my uncle's death, I sat down in my living room and wrote a poem called "My Dream Day," detailing the events of a lovely dream in which I could be reunited with my hilarious, easy-going uncle, if only for a day of laughter and fullness of life. That afternoon, something inside of me changed. A seed was planted in my soul. Today, I feel like I can't go a single day without writing about the people I encounter, the stories I hear, the life I live, or the wonder I see in this world. It's a longing like no other, and only when I take a moment to finally put pen to paper is the desire satisfied.

All good things take time. Writing is an art form; learning to be happy with the present moment is an art form. All good things take time, but in my opinion there is something so undeniably and inherently good about art that this kind of good takes even more time than the other "good things" in this life. I haven't always been a writer. You haven't always been as basketball player, a dancer, a painter, a teacher, a lawyer, a doctor, a mother, a father, etc. All good thing takes time. It takes time to get to the place where you desire to be. Be patient with yourself as you learn to live in the present moment.

Learning to be happy with the present moment will not happen overnight. Because God has given each of us a restless heart - called to chase after His heart and find rest in His arms - our lives are a constant tug-of-war between the past and the future. We can't help it. But we CAN change it. We don't have to be restless for what we once had or have yet to have. We can learn to be content with the present moment.
A friend of mine named Catherine, who is just as hilarious and easy-going as my uncle I mentioned earlier in this post, has inspired me to strive to live more in the present moment. She likes to call learning to live in the present moment, "learning to live between point A and B." Think of point A as the past, and point B as the future. Stop longing for A or B. Learn to live in the in-between. If you truly open your eyes and truly start living in the present moment, you may find that everything you've ever wanted is right there in front of you.

"If you live your life putting everything you have into what comes next, you will never be satisfied...I challenge you to question yourself and figure out what you are really living for." ~ Catherine

Life happens between point A and point B.
Learn to live in the in-between.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34

"Whatever the present moment contains, accept it as if you had chosen it. Always work with it, not against it. Make it your friend and ally, not your enemy. This will miraculously transform your whole life." (The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle)
Song of the Week:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)