Whole Again

Maybe I'll finally be happy when I go to college.
Maybe I'll finally feel satisfied when I get a boyfriend.
Maybe I'll finally experience freedom when I'm on my own.

We tell ourselves these things, hoping our predictions will one day come true. Maybe when I finally get that car, or that diploma, or become friends with that person, I will be happy. I will have everything I need. Yet when we finally reach that car, diploma, or friend, we find ourselves just as empty as we were before. There's always that lingering emptiness, no matter how noticeable or unnoticeable. It doesn't matter if you've found the most faithful husband on the face of this earth or if you have the best career in town. There may always be something missing.

For me, the only times I don't feel "something missing" are when I am with Jesus. When I am talking to my God in prayer, I feel complete. My former emptiness is filled with good things. I am whole again.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about and you truly believe that you don't have to have Jesus to feel completely satisfied, then you haven't experienced what it's like to be filled with the love of Christ. His love is all-consuming. His love is the only constant in a world of varying emotions, attitudes, and people. His love will take that emptiness you feel and turn it into a beautiful thing.

I've realized that the greatest evidence we have for the existence of God is the emptiness within each and every one of us. C.S. Lewis says, "If I find in myself desires which nothing in this world can satisfy, the only logical explanation is that I was made for another world." We all know what it feels like to be empty. Yet I know for a fact that the only thing capable of filling our emptiness is the all-consuming love of Christ. Our emptiness shows that we were made for another world, Heaven. With a simple look into God's eyes and a glance at His heart, we are whole again.

If I could, I would sit every single atheist in the world down one-by-one and tell them face-to-face what Jesus has done for me, and what Jesus has helped me do for myself. It absolutely tears me apart to know that some people go their whole lives without ever even catching a glimpse at His all-consuming love. I cannot think of anything more unsatisfying than a life without Him.

Again, if you're thinking, "Nope, Haley, I've got all the happiness I need. I'm satisfied without God," that's because you haven't truly experienced the love of Christ. And if you haven't experienced the love of Christ, it's because you haven't put forth the effort to get to know Him. It's just like any other relationship in life: it takes effort. Have you talked to Him in prayer? Have you visited Him in Church? Have you read His words in the Bible? Have you seen His love through other Christians or Catholics? Start surrounding yourself with a community of believers. Start putting forth the effort required to develop a relationship with Him. It's not always easy. It takes time - a whole lifetime. Remember, be patient. And in time, I promise that with Him you will be whole again.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation.
The old has passed away; behold the new has come.
2 Corinthians 5:17

Song of the Week:

P.S. Shoutout to the University of Texas Kappa Delta Bible study. Thank you for reading (especially you, Kat Pressler)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)