Although Not Quite the Same

In the past few weeks, I have come to a spectacular conclusion: each of us is a human being. Before you wonder why I insist on stating such an obvious conclusion, listen up (or rather, read up). Each of us is a human being. We are flesh and bone. Each of us is a living and breathing person. Even if you know someone who is the exact opposite of you, you have this in common: you are each distinctly human - living, breathing human beings.

There's nothing more beautiful than feeling another's heartbeat, than realizing that the person sitting next to you is just like you: human. There's nothing more overwhelming awesome than realizing that you, in fact, are not alone and there are 6 billion out there in this world just like you in so many ways.

There are 6 billion other people with a heartbeat like yours, although not quite the same.
There are 6 billion other people with a smile like yours, although not quite the same.
There are 6 billion other people with a story like yours, although not quite the same.
And most of all, there are 6 billion other people with a struggle like yours, although not quite the same.

That's a whole lot of heartbeats, a whole lot of smiles, a whole lot of stories, a whole lot of struggles.

And with these heartbeats, smiles, stories, and struggles, and with all the time each of us has on our hands, it is easy to begin to make your own judgement of any individual's heartbeat, smile, story, or struggle. Yet what we must remember is that there is nothing more unattractive than hearing someone speak poorly of another person. When you talk about someone behind their back, your stabbing words are only a reflection of who you are. The extent to which you love or fail to love another person is a direct reflection of the extent to which you love or fail to love yourself. Throughout the past few years of high school and the beginning of college, I have realized that when I speak poorly of another person, all I am doing is making a fool of myself. I am only embarrassing myself, for when I use my words to hurt another, I am only displaying a complete and utter lack of confidence in the beautiful individual whom God has created me to be.

I have realized that my only goal in life is to love others well. My only purpose on this planet is to love and be loved. Everything else is secondary. Nothing in this world brings my heart more peace than the beautiful people I have been blessed to call my family and friends. My friends and family are my foundation, the reason I am who I am today, and I know that without them, I would have no purpose on this earth. My community gives me my purpose, for without my community, how could I fulfill my life's mission: to love and be loved?

Last week, I had dinner with a friend of mine here at Notre Dame named Rachel. Rachel is a spectacular human being, an angel to say the least. I have met very few people like her. At one point, Rachel explained to me her new goal in life, to invest fully in each of her relationships. She shared with me her goal of striving to focus solely on the individual before her, on the living, breathing human being - so very much like herself - directly in front of her. As she spoke, I could see the genuine love inside of her eyes, a passion for humanity, a heart like no other. It was beautiful, to meet a person not only completely in love with the Lord, but equally as in love with the idea of helping other people find total happiness.

Tonight, my heart is at peace. For the first time in a long time, I am supremely happy. Am I were I need to be? No, of course not. But then again, one should never feel complacent in life, no matter the circumstances. Always keep striving, always keep pushing forward. Keep loving like I know you can. The only way to find real happiness is by making other people happy. Joy is just a side effect of loving others well. If you don't feel happy, chances are you're probably not doing the best you can to love the people in your life, whether family, friends, or the strangers you pass each day. You get one simple life to live and it is absolutely pathetic to waste it in hatred. Let love fill your heart on this day, and let peace carry you through the night.

God, You are just too good to be true. My heart is at peace, my heart is supremely happy, and You are the reason behind it all.

Although we may not all be quite the same, what a beautiful thing it is to love others well - to love and be loved on every day, in every place, and in each moment. They will know we are Christians by our love. (John 13:35)

Songs of the Week ~

Comments

  1. You are awesome Haley. Keep it up. You radiate joy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Surrender

Faith is Not a Feeling

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)