Holding Onto Hope

The car isn't completely destroyed. I know there's still hope.

In past blog posts, I have mentioned a friend of mine whose life was recently turned upside down. My friend had to drop out of school and go into rehab for his drug addiction. A few days ago, I heard from him for the first time in a while. Relief flooded my heart and tears of joy came to my eyes as I listened to him say these words: "I know I've messed my life up, Haley. I know I've made some serious mistakes. But I had a dream last night...a dream that I got into a car crash. The car was obviously messed up, but when I took a hard look at it, I realized that it wasn't completely destroyed. That car is my life. It's messed up now, but the car is not completely destroyed. I can still turn my life around. I know there's still hope for me."

If I could have one wish in life, it would be for all of my loved ones to know Jesus. Although I pray for him nearly everyday, this friend of mine does not know Jesus at all, and I know he won't come to know Jesus for a very long time (if ever).

But the cool thing about Jesus is that we don't even have to want Him in order for Him to want us. We don't have to do ANYTHING to get His attention. We already have His attention. My friend who just got out of rehab literally wants nothing to do with God, yet God wants everything to do with him. My friend has no hope in God, yet God is continuing to give him hope in this broken situation.

Even when we want nothing to do with God,

God wants everything to do with us.

Even when we deny the existence of God,

God wants to give us the greatest existence possible.

Even when we think we've found something better than His love,

God showers us with His love anyway.


We've all fallen into that trap. My friend isn't the only one. At some point in each of our lives, we've wanted nothing to do with God; we've denied His existence; we think we've found something better. Yet only when we realize just how broken and empty we are without Him do we remember how it feels to be in His arms, to be His beloved. And in the arms of our Savior we are hungry and thirsty no more. We have everything we could ever possibly desire.

We could hate God with every fiber of our being, and He would still come to us and say, "All beautiful you are, my darling. There is nothing in you to cause a fall" (Song of Solomon 4:7), or "I have loved you with an everlasting love" (Jeremiah 31:3).

So here's the deal: it's not over.
Yes, you made a mistake. Yes, you did something you shouldn't have. You crashed the car, but the car is not completely destroyed. There's still hope. There is hope for my friend who just got out of rehab and is learning how to live life without drugs, and there is hope FOR YOU. Whatever you are facing, whatever is plaguing your life...there is still hope. Hold onto Hope. Hold onto Jesus. He's been holding you this whole time anyway.

Song of the week: "Only You" by David Crowder Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6xSOMdt_2g

"But those who HOPE in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:31

Comments

  1. Dear Haley,
    What a beautiful message God has brought me through you. I haven't talked to you in a while and boy do I miss you. But I needed you to know that I have been struggling in college and you have given me hope. You reminded me of something I was told this summer. I thought I might share it with you...
    "His is a real love. I know because never do I regret feeling when I am around him. Never do I feel lost in his words. Never do I fear him leaving me but rather me leaving him. It is a perfect and unending love that can only be hindered by my own actions. He longs for me. He wants me. He reaches for me. He reaches with an out stretched hand waiting for me as I lay my hand forward limp, unwilling to reach. His is a real love."
    Haley you have a beautiful gift from God that I pray you continue to nourish. I thank God for giving me such a blessing that is your words.
    Love,
    An Old Friend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment. It made me so happy! But I really wish I knew who this "old friend" is! I'd love to talk to you via email, Facebook, or phone if you have my number, just to catch up and see how you are doing. Feel free to contact me directly if you want to. Keep working at your faith and know that believing in God is oftentimes a struggle because we live in a world that does not accept Him. But we know that His love is a real love (I LOVE your quote you shared with me; I put it at the end of my new blog post)! It is unending...it is unfailing...it is all-perfect, all-powerful, all-good. Thanks again! I'm praying for you, whoever you are! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)