Wasted Time

It amazes me how much time I've wasted.

To me, every moment I've spent apart from Jesus has been a meaningless moment.
Every day apart from Him, a completely wasted day.

Last night at 3:23 A.M., a good friend of mine texted me, "I really need to talk to you. I'm broken." When I called him, he proceeded to tell me about a girl who had deeply hurt him recently. The only words that came to my mind over and over again were, "Wasted time...wasted time...wasted time."

In high school, I was never the girl who always had boys chasing after her. Most boys my age saw me as an innocent little girl who only prayed in her spare time. Although this reputation oftentimes left me feeling extremely alone and unwanted, I wouldn't have had it any other way. Many times I felt a great emptiness inside of me, as if in some way I wasn't good enough for the people around me. Yet that emptiness I felt proved to be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me, as it eventually pushed me to turn to Jesus. I gradually fell more and more in love with Him, realizing that He was all I ever wanted anyway.

Anyway, back to 3:23 A.M. "Wasted time...wasted time...wasted time," was all I kept thinking. Any time not spent with Jesus is wasted time. Here's the deal: People will always fail you. No matter if you're 8-years-old and you're crushing on the cutie in your second grade class, or if you're 50-years-old and you're married to the love of your life...people will always fail you. You cannot expect that 8-year-old cutie or that 50-year-old spouse to be perfect. Loved ones, family members, or friends will always fail you. But Jesus? Jesus will never fail you. His love never fails.

So why waste your time? Why waste precious time chasing after the things of this world? Do you feel as if you're running in the wrong direction? Stop running. Turn around. Notice Christ, standing right beside you. He's been with you this whole time, with His hand outstretched on your shoulder. You've been trying to run away from Him all your life. You keep thinking that you know what is best for you. You keep thinking that this world is what you need. He's just counting down the minutes, waiting desperately and eagerly for you to turn back to Him...to even notice Him for a split second. Remember, our God is a jealous God. He is jealous for you. And He will do whatever it takes for you to fall in love with Him.

So am I saying that you're never allowed to date anyone or get married? No, of course not. God made man and woman for a reason...to complement each other, to be in healthy relationship with each other. Yet what we must always remember is that nothing on this planet could ever compare to the love of Jesus. You may think you're enjoying your life. You may think you're making all the right decisions. But when you actually come to Jesus, when you walk this life hand-in-hand with Him, you'll realize just how much time you wasted...you'll realize that any moment not spent with Jesus is a meaningless moment.

Jesus, I'm tired of wasting time. I'm tired of running to this world and being so unbelievably let down by others. People constantly fail me, and I constantly fail others. I can't keep putting all of my hope in this world. Jesus, please, remind me that You are enough. You are surely more than enough. Every breath I breathe without You is meaningless. Every step I take without You is meaningless. Every day I live without You is meaningless. Time not spent in Your presence is wasted time. Jesus, You are my everything-my all. If it wasn't for You, I would still be so caught up in my brokenness. But You saved me; You made me whole. You restored my life. You filled me with the joy I so lacked. Lord, You are the source of all my joy. I shall glorify Your name with my life.

Jesus, It amazes me how much time I've wasted.

Song of the week: "Overcome" by Jeremy Camp

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 8:38-39

One of my best friends, Madeline Hill.
Madeline, thank you for teaching me that all I could ever desire, all I could ever want, can only be found in the arms of Jesus.

So as we think about this time we've wasted without Jesus, remember this: you must always look to the past to learn, and never to regret. Don't regret the time you've wasted without Him. But make the decision right here, right now, to learn from that wasted time and live life anew with Him.
(Taken by the lovely Madeline Hill)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)