Why I Love This World

Let me tell you why I love this world.

There I was, sitting in my biology class on Tuesday. Then, something caught my attention: black bracelet, neon green lettering. A smile formed on my face the minute I saw it. The boy sitting in front of me was taking notes just as I, and the bracelet on his wrist contained the following words: Our hearts are restless until they rest in You.

For those of you who don't know, Saint Augustine once said these piercing words, which speak of the truth of the Gospel that we will NEVER be satisfied until we find satisfaction in Jesus. Naturally, the minute I saw this boy's bracelet, I could no longer focus on the powerpoint slide about the difference between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells before me. You want to know why I love this world? I love this world because of this random boy. This random boy - whose name I don't even know, whose face I would never recognize - was not afraid to wear this bracelet. In a world where the last thing considered "cool" is being a Christian, he was not afraid to proclaim his love for Christ.

Last night I was talking to a new friend of mine here at ND. He told me that he was a Christian, but that he doesn't really like talking about his faith very much. The truth is that we live in a world where people are afraid to love the Lord. I've said this a million times on this blog already, but y'all (yes, to my new Notre Dame friends from the north...I DID just say y'all) nothing at all could ever be better than the love of Christ. The greatest thing this world has to offer is Jesus. Why be afraid to live for something so amazing, so unbelievable, so undeniably glorious?

Last week, I was talking to a family member of mine who is very staunch in his atheist beliefs. I asked him if he had a chance to read my latest blog post. His next five words caused me to stop in my tracks completely, "I did. It was embarrassing." He proceeded to tell me how I am a complete embarrassment to him, and how my faith - something I am literally willing to give up my whole life for - is just a bunch of myths, a collection of childish fairy tales.

"I did. It was embarrassing." Yes, these words hurt me more than this person will ever know. But you know what I've realized? Jesus is all I need. Jesus is my everything. I don't need the approval of man. I want to give up my whole life for Jesus - everything, all of my life, I want to surrender it to Him completely. Why? Because, as I mentioned in my very first blog post, I know exactly what it feels like to be completely and undeniably broken, and to find glorious redemption and grace at the feet of Jesus. Do I let the criticisms of others keep me from living out my faith? If anything, words like, "I did. It was embarrassing," only further encourage me to give up my life for Christ. If there are people in this world willing to tell 18-year-olds trying to live for Jesus that they're an embarrassment simply for doing so...well then that just reminds me of how much Jesus needs me to bring His light to this broken world.

So to the person reading this right now, wondering why in the world I care about an invisible being, listen to these words: give Jesus a chance. If you deny the existence of His great love, it's because you've never experienced it before. And if you're in that broken place in which I once found myself, pray for His redemption. Trust me, patiently await Him, and He will ultimately fulfill your every desire.

Remember this quote: "Our hearts are restless until they rest in You." Yes, this world can be very desirable and fulfilling at times. Boyfriends/girlfriends can fill you with happiness. Parties/alcohol can allow you to "let go" for a night. But the meaning of true happiness? Jesus. The definition of REAL joy? Jesus. Don't ever forget that. Do not chase this world, for you will surely be disappointed. Boys will disappoint you; friends will disappoint you; even family members will disappoint you. But Jesus? Never ever will He desert you. The only negative emotion He will ever bring you is the feeling of longing...yet this longing is not longing for something or someone other than Him or better than Him, but longing for MORE of Him, for a greater view of His presence in this world that is so in need of repair.

To the completely random boy sitting in front of me in biology on Tuesday, thank you. Thank you for not being afraid to wear that bracelet. Thank you for reminding me that true satisfaction is discovered in the loving embrace of Jesus and Jesus alone. And to my lovely readers, from my cousins Brittany and Chrissy in Dallas, to my cousin Jenn in Boston, to my friend Kirby in Scotland, thank YOU. You are the reason I do what I do. My prayer for you this week is that you may realize that your hearts will indeed be RESTLESS until you rest in Christ. Live in His love this week. Nothing is better than Him. Nothing.

Song of the week: "Everything" by Lifehouse

One of the greatest people I've ever met, Moriah Banas.
Moriah understands what it truly means to be totally and completely in love with Christ.
She has helped me to realize that my heart is restless until I rest in Jesus.

Comments

  1. Rachel (haleys favorite sister)September 17, 2012 at 12:44 AM

    And dogs; dogs will never disappoint you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Rachel. Thanks for your input.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)