But Then I Found Jesus

Insecurity. A simple, painful ten-letter word familiar to us all. I'm starting to realize that the common characteristic that links all of humanity is none other than insecurity itself. I guarantee that every individual on this planet has encountered insecurity at least once along the journey of life. In this day and age, insecurity seems almost inevitable, what with the constant pressure to succeed intellectually that is so prevalent in our society, and the media's constant stream of advertisements aimed to provoke us to strive for perfection in our appearances. Indeed, it is only human to feel the way we do, to occasionally to deny our worth.

Like so many of you, I too have experienced prolonged bouts of insecurity in my lifetime. During this time, I found it hard to see the worth that is within myself. It was if I constantly told myself, "You are not good enough. You will never be good enough." I discovered it extremely difficult to find comfort in my own skin. I constantly compared myself to others, and only after a very long time of letting this plague of comparison consume my life, did I finally realize that, "Comparison is the thief of joy." I can assure you that joy was no where to be found during this time of my life.

But then I found Jesus. And it was at His feet, beneath His cross, that I discovered my worth. When I came to Him, I was so broken...so in need of redemption. His response? "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). Everyday I wear a ring with these words on it, reminding me of my brokenness and my great need for His sweet redemption.

Last night, a good friend of mine texted me the following words: "Hey Haley, so I was having a rough night. I'm just confused, worried, and sad about things, so I started praying and I decided I wanted to read Bible verses online. Then I thought of your blog and how I haven't read it but I really wanted to. Right when I started reading your blog the answers that I needed jumped out at me. I just wanted to say thank you for proclaiming God's word. Thanks for helping me out tonight."

But here's the thing - it's not me; it's not me at all. It's Jesus working through me. "God has no hands and feet in this world but ours." I am simply serving as His humble hands and feet, doing the best I possibly can to share His grace with a world so in need. My friend who texted me last night is now understanding what it means to be overwhelmed with God's love. Her life is beginning to be redeemed by the saving power of our Lord.

I want the same thing for all of you. I want all 1,600 of the people who have viewed my blog to let their lives be redeemed by the saving power of the Lord this week. The truth of the matter is that we are all broken in our own way. Whether our brokenness takes the form of insecurity, depression, or hopelessness, there is one thing we all have in common: we all need Jesus. The first step to overcoming your insecurity, your depression, your hopelessness, etc. is coming to the beautiful feet of Jesus, beneath His cross, and literally giving everything to Him. All that I am, I surrender before the Lord. Give it all up to Him this week. Everything. Surrender it all. Leave it all at the foot of the cross.

This morning I went to church on campus for the first time in a while. Towards the end of Mass, I said to Jesus, humbly, patiently, and full of brokenness, "Please lift me up. Please redeem me." His response? "I already have."

Song of the week: "Redeemed"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyLqbP8Z4I&feature=related

Emma Jaspersen - my best friend, my light, my role model. This picture perfectly captures the way Emma lives her life, with a genuine joy that can only come from the sweet redemption of the Lord.

P.S. Shout out to my roommate, Mary Prouse. Happy now, Mary?
P.S.S. Shout out to my sister Rachel...who was very jealous of Mary's shout out and is desperate for her own (:

Comments

  1. Rachel (haley's favorite sister)September 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

    WHERE IS MY SHOUT OUT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haley, I really think your sister, Rachel deserves a shout out. peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well since Jesus says to I guess I have to... :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)