An Angel

As most of you already know, I'm more emotional than the average person, so it may not be a surprise that as I'm typing these words, tears are (yet again) falling down my face. Every Sunday as I prepare to post on my blog, I am reminded of just how great a God we serve. And every Sunday, I cannot help but sit in awe as I reflect on just how beautiful the Lord is. I often find myself thinking, It can't be true. There can't be a God THIS good. It's way too perfect to be real. But you know what's so cool? It is real. All of it. It's true - God is real; He is active; He is living in our hearts. This world did not form out of happenstance, but out of a divine will, and each person is put on this earth for a very specific reason. We were made with a divine purpose in mind, and the point of our lives is to discover and fulfill that purpose.

And what is our purpose? Do our lives even have a point at all? Why are we here?

In my dorm at Notre Dame, there is a chapel on the first floor. I find myself in this chapel very often throughout the week, sitting in the presence of Christ, reflecting on His beauty, and praying for all of you. In the room, there is book full of prayer requests. I walked into the chapel very late one Friday night to find a girl from my dorm, praying before the foot of the cross on her knees. A few things about the situation surprised me: 1) I was shocked to find another student praying in the dorm at 2:30 AM on a Friday night, and 2) I was taken aback when I saw the desperation with which she was praying. She was rocking back and forth, and tears were streaming down her face. The image of this girl will stay with me forever. In that moment, I was reminded of the distress that lies within each of our hearts, and the great desperation with which we are called to cry out to Jesus. 1 Peter 5:7 says, "Cast all your anxieties on Him because He cares for you." Needless to say, this girl was definitely casting her anxieties on Christ. She was coming to His feet, broken and in need of repair, trusting that He would heal her wounds and set her free. She clung to the words of Psalm 34:18, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." She reminded me that in times of struggle, all we have to do is sit humbly before the foot of the cross, with tears in our eyes as we realize just how freeing His love is. And how freeing it is, indeed.

As I left the chapel some time later, I glanced at the book of prayer requests by the door. I saw the words, "For the desire to live," in small handwriting - humble handwriting, desperate handwriting. My eyes were frozen to the page...I quickly wrote a short prayer request, praying specifically for the girl who wrote this message, assuming that its author was the one in the chapel with me at that time.

The next day, as I was walking down the hallway, these words outside of a random girl's dorm caught my attention: "Cling to Christ and realize that there is nothing better than His great love. Lord, work in [my] life. Help us all to realize you are what we need." - an angel. Again, my eyes were frozen to these words, as I realized that I had written those same words the night before in the chapel prayer book.

So then I got to thinking. Me - an angel? Hah, you've definitely got the wrong girl. I've made way too many mistakes in my life to ever be classified as an angel. I am in no way deserving of Jesus' love or salvation and yet He gives it me anyway, saying, "Here, I'll always love you. Take this; take my love; it's Yours." Throughout the course of the past few days, I've thought about this word "angel," repeating it to myself over and over again.

Let's go back to my questions earlier - What is our purpose? Do our lives even have a point at all? Why are we here? Well, friends, I think I've come up with an answer: we were created to be God's angels to the world. I have realized that my only real purpose in life is to be an angel for Christ. Everything else, to me, is secondary. Yes, I am a student, daughter, and friend...but first and foremost, I am God's angel, called to bring His light to this world so desperately in need of His love.

In the same way, each of you are called to be God's angels. Each of us has a specific purpose in this life, and that purpose is to live for Christ. God, how good You are to me. How good You are to each of us. It is never too radical to challenge ourselves to live our lives - our WHOLE lives - for You.

So I have a challenge for each of you, if you're willing. Let's be God's angels. Let's share His love with this broken world. And in doing so, let's create Heaven on Earth.

My prayer for you this week is that you may realize just how beautiful God is. One day, I want tears to come to your eyes when you think of His love, His mercy, His forgiveness. Realize that NO ONE is perfect. No one has it all together, and you don't have to be perfect in order to be called a Christian. You don't even have to be good; you just have to WANT to become good and want to become more like Christ. This week, remember that Christ did not come to save the healthy, but to heal the sick. Doctors don't heal healthy people, do they? Christ is our doctor, providing medicine for the soul. He's waiting and willing to restore our lives. Let Him fill your brokenness with hope, right here in this moment. Go, be God's angel, and create Heaven on Earth in your community, your school, your home. Let peace reign in your hearts.

Danni Howard, one of my best friends,
and one of the many angels in my life.

Comments

  1. Haley-
    So very impressed by your blog. We miss you back here at All Saints. Just wanted to share -in case you didn't know- St. Augustine is the patron saint of bloggers. I read that and thought of you :) Take care!
    Maureen

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so awesome. Thank you for sharing. I LOVE Saint Augustine :) I'll probably be blogging about him in the future. He's a big inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)