Words You Don't Hear Very Often

"And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep His love is. May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God." Ephesians 3:18-19 (New Living Translation)

"I am in love with Jesus. I fall more in love with Jesus every second of my life." I'll never forget that moment as long as I live. I sat there on the floor of Cabin 27 at Sky Ranch Christian Camp with all of my friends, as our counselor Dana shared these words with us. My face was a mixture of confusion and awe. In love with Jesus? Well, that's weird. How can you be in love with someone you can't even see? And it was in that moment that my heart discovered truth. The truth of the matter is that there is a God, and this God is so completely and fully in love with us. The truth of the matter is that we will never fully comprehend the depth of His love for us. The love that a family member or spouse has for us will never compare to His love. We must realize that the love a human can give us is simply that: human. But God's love? God's love is unfailing. It is perfect. It is unchanging, no matter the circumstances.

Read these words carefully: we can never be separated from Christ's love. Romans 8:38-39 says, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (New International Version). Nothing we do can ever take away Christ's love for us. God turns to each of us, meets us where we are, and says, "I love you. I love you more than anyone on this earth can ever love you. So stop turning to the things or the people of this world. Turn to me. I am what you need. I will give you the love for which you've been searching. And more."

But then at some point we look ourselves in the mirror and think, I am not worthy of love. I am nothing. I don't deserve to be loved because I have made too many mistakes. Nope, not me, God...You've got the wrong person. Yet God will persist in His love for us. He will again turn to each of us, meet us where we are, and say, "So you've made some mistakes. Who hasn't? So you've messed up along the way. Who cares? I will continue to love you.  You've lied, you've cheated, you've stolen, you've lived in jealousy, you've hated Me, you've abandoned Me, you've given up on Me? So what. I have forgiven you. And I have not forgotten you. You are made new today. You are wiped clean. I have given you a new soul, a new spirit. And in spite of all You've done, I still love you just the same."

The truth of the matter is that God is so unbelievably, undeniably in love with every single one of us. Because in His eyes, we are all His children and even though we make mistakes and we fall short of His glory - "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 (NIV) - we could never fall short of His love. My prayer for you today is that you may be overwhelmed with Christ's love for you. Experience His love; live in His love. And I hope and pray that some day you may be able to look another person in the eyes and say, "I am in love with Jesus. I fall more in love with Jesus every second of my life."

Song of the week: "Your Love" by Brandon Heath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vbg2dpX-EY


Photo credit to one of the best friends I've ever had, Raleigh Ward :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Faith is Not a Feeling

Surrender

How to Overcome Depression (Step One)